Blog Archive

Where's John?

Mustaches are HOT!

A couple of weeks ago, my "old" friend John Wade invited me to a Marc Jacobs Trunk Show, showing the latest Spring 2008 runway collection at the Melrose Place boutique here in LA. I hadn't seen John in a while so I jumped into my car, got my skinniest of jeans on and headed to the Westside for a chance to see this controversial Marc Jacobs collection up close, and more importantly, to see my John! He was looking very 1980's Magnum P.I. with that mustache.
I got to view-and touch- some pieces from the collection, including the first look "No. 56", a corseted tulle and organza beaded creation, which I think cost about $8,000!! And we made one of our friends try on the little bubblegum pink jersey number from the show as well. One interesting note: All the samples said "Size 4", but they were altered to fit those teeny tiny runway models, so in actuality, a lot where size 0 or 2. The shoes were the best. Every woman is going to want to own those "backward" pumps.

John, by the way, is doing FABULOUSLY. He's part of a valued team that makes Marc Jacobs be the amazing design brand that it is. He had been in Savannah, Georgia for a while, helping open the the new Marc Jacobs store there and then moved to San Francisco, where he was sent to help re-organize that store.
Coincidentally, he had been working a lot with the window displays of all the West Coast stores (Las Vegas, LA, SF) and has moved back to Los Angeles, where he has just gotten a "very big promotion". Love that! He is doing very good indeed.