Blog Archive

MISS CLAP-EZ-UELA?

After a near-perfect record from 2007 to 2009 when my hot picks from Venezuela ended up placing 3rd, 1st and 1st respectively at Miss Universe, I called it correctly this year when Marelisa Gibson failed to make the cut (although I have to admit that I added her to my Top 15 at the last minute just because she was Miss Venezuela).

Given the quality of contestants at Miss Venezuela this year, I am a bit surprised at the result. Whilst Miss Venezuela-World, Ivian Sarcos, (right) has a good shot at the Miss World title next year and was my pick to win first place (Miss Venezuela-Universe), I'm not sure what to make of her counterpart Vanessa Goncalves who will compete at Miss Universe.

She honestly looks like a used Orange County housewife that was great-looking 20 years ago when she was young. For now, she's going to be Miss Clap-ez-uela at Miss Universe next year, unless Aunty Osmel has a trick or two up her sleeve.