Blog Archive

CULTURAL REVULSION

I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about African culture and dress other than that an isicholo is a traditional Zulu wedding head-dress, and I guessed that the latest South African Miss Universe national costume was based on something that comes from the Eastern Cape given that I was raised in the area and it looked vaguely familiar.

Apparently a group of non-pageant following Xhoza-speaking folk were not as impressed when shown a photograph of the green outfit pictured in a post below. They howled with laughter when they saw the photograph and were told what it represented. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but apparently it's worse than bad.

If it's THAT bad, we need to find a new national costume for Nicole Flint very quickly. My emergency plan is to use the fabulous outfit that Matapa Maila wore to the Met and add a matching "isicholo" and gold neck and arm bands. The outfit was designed by the master South Africa pageant gown designer, Werner Dey.